Mikel Arteta dismisses Atletico Madrid complaints over Thomas Partey transfer

first_imgAdvertisement Mikel Arteta dismisses Atletico Madrid complaints over Thomas Partey transfer Metro Sport ReporterThursday 15 Oct 2020 12:03 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.4kShares Mikel Arteta is thrilled to add Thomas Partey to his squad (Picture: Getty Images)Partey will only have his first training session with Arsenal on Thursday ahead of the huge Premier League clash with Manchester City on Saturday, but Arteta has not ruled out him playing a part in the contest.‘Today he will have his first training session, so everything has to come really quickly for him,’ said the boss.‘We knew that before we signed him that he is fit, he is very willing to start playing and we will see how he goes in the next few days.’MORE: Mikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityMORE: Kevin Campbell urges Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta to throw Thomas Partey straight in against Manchester CityFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Comment Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone didn’t want to lose Thomas Partey (Picture: Getty Images)Mikel Arteta says he does not know if Atletico Madrid are holding a grudge over Arsenal signing Thomas Partey, but insists they have nothing to be annoyed about if they are.The Gunners swooped to sign the midfielder on transfer deadline day, triggering his £45m release clause, which meant they were not obliged to go into negotiations with Atletico beforehand.The Spanish side were said to be furious that Arsenal left it so late in the transfer window to confirm their move for the 27-year-old, with reports suggesting they have refused to deal with the north London club in future.AdvertisementAdvertisementHowever, Arteta has dismissed these complains, saying that there had been discussions between the two clubs before the move was made, and even if there wasn’t, a release clause always leaves them open to such a deal.ADVERTISEMENT‘I don’t know,’ Arteta told a press conference on whether Atletico were left annoyed by the transfer. ‘When you have a release clause in your contract you assume that that situation can arise at any minute. ‘While the market is open it’s completely legal to do it. ‘We have had some communication with them prior to that as well so hopefully they can respect that action.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThe Spaniard admits that he was concerned the deal for the Ghanaian would not be completed in time, so late in the day it was done, but is delighted he has bolstered his midfield with such an imposing presence.‘Yes!’ Arteta admits when asked if he had doubts. ‘When it’s up to the last minutes it’s always a risk. ‘A lot of things have to happen at the same time. It was a challenge to do it in 24 hours but I’m really happy because at the end we managed it.’ Advertisementlast_img read more

The Latest: Track meet in Berlin plans to have 3,500 fans

first_img July 21, 2020 This season’s Scottish Cup final will be played midway through next season.The Scottish soccer federation says the pandemic-delayed competition will be completed on Dec. 20. That is more than seven months after the original date for the final on May 9.The competition was stopped at the semifinal stage. Defending champion Celtic will play Aberdeen and Edinburgh rivals Hearts and Hibernian will meet in the other semifinal on the weekend of Oct. 31-Nov. 1 at Hampden Park in Glasgow.Organizers say players who would ordinarily be barred from playing for a second team in the same competition can play for their new club even if they were earlier fielded by a different team.The 2020-21 season in the Scottish league will start on Aug. 1. The 2019-20 league season did not resume after the lockdown and Celtic was declared champion based on average points per game. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The ISTAF track meet in Berlin has outlined plans to have up to 3,500 spectators in attendance on Sept. 13. Associated Press Organizers say they have developed a wide-ranging plan to ensure spectators stay healthy but haven’t revealed specifics. They were hoping for up to 45,000 fans at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin before the pandemic.Meet director Martin Seeber says he hopes it will be “a first small step back to normality.”Pole vault world record holder Armand “Mondo” Duplantis is headlining the event.The announcement comes as other European track meets plan to bring fans back. Tickets are on sale for the Diamond League meet in Monaco next month and organizers in Lausanne are staging a pole vault competition in the city which could have 5,000 fans if Swiss authorities agree.___ The Latest: Track meet in Berlin plans to have 3,500 fanslast_img read more

Syracuse overwhelmed by No. 3 North Carolina in 7-1 loss

first_imgWith 23 minutes remaining in the first half, Syracuse goalkeeper Jordan Harris lined up to defend a Taylor Otto penalty kick. A goal would put No. 3 North Carolina up two goals, an advantage UNC hasn’t surrendered this season. Harris read Otto’s shot the entire way. She dove quickly to her left, pushed the ball away from the net and jumped up with an enthusiastic scream. She was immediately mobbed by defenders Taylor Bennett and Shannon Aviza.  The crowd at SU Soccer Stadium erupted, and emotions were high. But that atmosphere would last for mere minutes.  Less than two minutes later, UNC’s Brianna Pinto sent a corner kick sailing over all of the Orange defenders to a wide-open Julia Ashley. The senior headed the ball in the back of the net, granting the Tar Heels a two-goal lead. The Orange (3-11, 0-6 Atlantic Coast), winless in conference play, kept it close for 65 minutes against a Tar Heels team undefeated in conference. But SU fell apart during the final 25, allowing four goals during that span, en route to a 7-1 loss to UNC (10-2-1, 6-0-0) on Sunday afternoon. Seven different players scored goals for the Tar Heels, who outshot the Orange 29-5. The loss extended SU’s losing streak to nine. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBlessing Emole | Digital Design Editor“I thought we had some good spells where we did keep (the ball),” SU forward Meghan Root said. “We just need to do it more consistently.” Bridgette Andrzejewski opened the scoring for North Carolina less than five minutes in. On a free kick, she positioned herself in front of SU’s Kate Hostage and headed a Pinto free kick into the right corner of the net. “It’s just about being physical-on set pieces,” head coach Phil Wheddon said. “We didn’t get a body on them, and … against a team of this caliber, you’re not going to get any breaks.”  Root, a freshman forward, scored the Orange’s only goal late in the first half. She got behind Andrzejewski and took advantage of a misplay by Ashley, sending the ball into the back of the net, cutting the deficit to 2-1.  The Tar Heels responded less than seven minutes later, with Alex Kimball squeezing the ball through Harris and defenders Clarke Brown and Aviza. That became the blow SU could not recover from the rest of the game. As the clocked ticked down to 10 seconds remaining in the first half, defender Clarke Brown cleared the ball out of bounds against the net. Preparing to defend a final UNC rush, Syracuse assistant coach Ben Boehner started shouting, “Everyone back, 20 seconds, go back!” The Orange forgot to account for Ashley, however, who snuck in behind defenders Molly Nethercott and Jenna Tivnan and headed a last-second shot off the left post. Harris looked with confusion towards her two teammates after the defensive breakdown with her palms raised upward. Wheddon and his staff stayed out on the field for more than three minutes during halftime, discussing the closing seconds of the half. “We lost to Louisville 1-0 with 9 seconds left on the clock, and they (UNC) had less than 20 seconds on the clock,” he said. “And again, we fell asleep for that moment, and it hit the post.”  The halftime adjustments to set-piece defending worked for SU in the first part of the second half. But in the last 25 minutes, North Carolina scored four-straight goals, including its last three in six minutes and finishing with its highest goal total of the season. After the game, while the rest of the Orange were going through their post-game stretching routine, Wheddon pulled aside Harris, a redshirt senior, and talked to her privately. The keeper had 11 saves on the day, including the penalty kick stop that injected a glimmer of hope into the Orange. “I thought Jordan had a big performance,” Wheddon said. “She’s upset that she conceded the goals, she’s taken ownership for some of the goals that were possibly preventable.” Many of the goals scored by UNC weren’t avoidable, though.  “UNC is a good team, they have…tons of national team players,” Root said, “so they’re going to be able to knock around the ball.” Published on October 7, 2018 at 6:12 pm Contact Andrew: [email protected] | @CraneAndrew Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Commentslast_img read more

Safety Mitchell excited about joining Steelers

first_imgNewly acquired Pittsburgh Steelers safety Mike Mitchell, right, stands with team president Arthur J. Rooney II, left, before a news conference at the NFL football teams headquarters in Pittsburgh on Thursday, March 13, 2014. Mitchell signed a five-year deal with the Steelers. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)PITTSBURGH (AP) – Mike Mitchell grew up in the Cincinnati area, so his youth was spent as a fan of the Bengals.Mitchell also was aware of their division rival, the Steelers, and the safety quickly found out more about them and their fan base after he signed a five-year contract with the club when free agency began this week.“I’m big on Twitter, and I read a lot about what people say,” Mitchell said Thursday. “I made the announcement at 6 o’clock, and I’ve already gotten close to 10,000 more followers. So the Steelers Nation definitely is alive and going strong. And you can feel it.“I feel very welcome, and people want to see me do good. So I can’t wait to get to work with my teammates. . My agent was fielding a lot of phone calls, and he was running off a list of teams. (But) as soon as I heard the Steelers, growing up around the Cincinnati area, that was a team you knew about. And being a Bengals fan when I was a kid, you were afraid of them.”Mitchell clearly isn’t afraid anymore, and his physical brand of football appears to mesh well with the club’s defensive philosophy. So, he jumped at the opportunity to play for the Steelers.“I know what the franchise is about, and the way that they play football here I really think fits my personality,” Mitchell said. “It’s very hard-nosed and the division, the AFC North, is very physical.“So there were just too many things to pass up, and I immediately identified them as a team that I definitely wanted to go to. And I think the feeling was mutual. My family and I are extremely excited, and we’re very happy to have this opportunity.”Mitchell played his first four NFL seasons with the Oakland Raiders and was a spot starter. His career blossomed as a primary starter last season for Carolina. Mitchell had 66 total tackles with 50 solo stops, 3 1-2 sacks, eight pass breakups, four interceptions and two forced fumbles during his only season in Carolina.Mitchell took a chance and signed a one-year contract with the Panthers. It paid off this week with a five-year Steelers contract for $25 million. The deal contains $5.75 million guaranteed, a $4.75 million signing bonus and first-year roster bonus of $500,000. His base contract this season is $750,000. It jumps to $2 million next year, plus a $2 million roster bonus due in March 2015. He will make $5 million from 2016-2018 and be an unrestricted free agent in 2019.___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFLlast_img read more

Johansen Olympia Dance Center Celebrates 40th Anniversary Of Free Recitals

first_imgFacebook79Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by Johansen Olympia Dance CenterJohansen Olympia Dance Center continues its 40th anniversary season with four free recitals this Sunday, June 9th at the Washington Center in downtown Olympia.  The recitals are at noon, 2:00pm, 4:00pm, and 6:00pm, and last approximately one hour.  Each performance is unique and features ballet, pre-ballet, tap, jazz, hip-hop, and modern dance.  Dancers range from age 4 to aspring pre-professionals, plus adults.  No tickets are needed, and seating is general admission.Johansen Olympia Dance Center is directed by Ken and Josie Johnson, who danced professionally and received degrees from The Hartt School at the University of Hartford.  The Johnsons are also certified in Primary through Level 3 of the ABT National Training Curriculum in New York.Johansen Olympia Dance Center is proud to include the AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE National Training Curriculum, a breakthrough 8 level program that combines high quality artistic training with the basics of dancer health and child development. The Center is committed to offering high quality dance training in a positive and nurturing environment.last_img read more

Mallard’s Team of the Week — Nelson Peewee Reps

first_imgSandbags for a little extra weight and grip can purchased at Husky, 711, Taghum Shell, The Gas Bar, The Maple Leaf Store, Kaslo Building Supply, Forestry, Kokanee Marine and Kaslo Esso.This year is a special season for the Reps as Nelson plays host to the B.C. Hockey Peewee Rep Provincial Hockey Tournament in March.Teams from throughout the province will be in Nelson for the weeklong tourney.Mallard’s Source for sports applauds the Reps off-ice teamwork with Team of the Week honours.The team is pictured filling bag at the City of Nelson pit with head coach Jeff Hunt. It’s easy from the recent fall-like weather experienced in the region winter is but a distant memory.Which is why the Nelson Peewee Reps got together last month to fill a lot of sandbags to help motorists stay on the road during the expected winter weather — because winter will arrive as expected.last_img read more

LVR heading back to Senior Girl’s Basketball Provincial Tournament

first_img David Thompson posted an upset over J.L. Crowe Hawks of Trail in the other semi final. LVR finished the regular season 16-4 record.The LVR Senior Boy’s are also heading to the provincial tournament, gaining a bye into the AAA Chamipionships. After three quarters LVR led 41-30Allie Zondervan added 12 points while Christina Champlin finished with 10.LVR advanced to the final, missing three players off the roster, with a 44-22 win over Selkirk Storm of Kimberley in the semi final.”The girls played solid D(efence) and controlled the glass on the offensive and defensive end,” said Bomber coach Chris Dergousoff.”We didn’t really push ourselves as we knew we needed to be rested for our second game — LVR had a 2.5 hour break).”LVR led 23-12 at the half.  Leading scorer in the semi final were Ansleigh Dergousoff and Perkins, each with 11 points.Sian Nielsen added 10 and Roxanne Baker had six points. The L.V. Rogers Senior Bombers are returning to the provincials for the first time in five years after capturing the Kootenay High School Girl’s Basketball zone title with a 60-44 win over David Thompson Lakers of Invermere in the final Saturday afternoon at Stanley Humphries in CastlegarThe Bombers now represent the Kootenays at the provincial tournament March 4-8 in Langley.Naomi Perkins poured in 26 points for LVR to lead the charge offensively.Despite the wide margin of victory, LVR struggled to start the contest, down 6-5 after one period.However, by halftime the Bombers established their play and took a 26-16 lead. last_img read more