3 suspects arrested in Chile subway bombing

first_imgSANTIAGO, Chile – Two men and a woman were arrested early Thursday on suspicion of involvement in a recent bombing in a subway station in the Chilean capital, police said.Fourteen people were injured when a homemade bomb rocked an area with food stalls inside the packed Escuela Militar station in Santiago at lunchtime on September 8.The government has deemed the unclaimed attack, the worst to hit Chile in 24 years, a “terrorist act” in what is considered by many to be the safest capital in Latin America.Prosecutors accused the three suspects of planting the bomb.Investigators also linked the three to another subway explosion that occurred in July but did not cause any injuries.“We welcome this morning’s news of the arrests of three suspects involved in terrorist acts we have seen over recent months,” Interior Minister Rodrigo Penailillo told reporters.President Michele Bachelet said the arrests were “an important step” toward solving the case and punishing those responsible.The three were arrested at a house in the densely populated La Pintana neighborhood early Thursday and taken to a police station in eastern Santiago, a police spokesman told AFP.Local media said police who searched the house found clothing with traces of gunpowder and tools that could be used to make bombs.So far, an investigation has found that those detained are part of a “fairly compact and tight cell,” said Raul Guzman, an official with the prosecutor’s office.He said there was still much to be done in the case.Last Friday, authorities in the northern city of Antofagasta arrested three men carrying dynamite and other ingredients that could be used for a bomb, but “terrorism” was ruled out as a motive in that case.The September 8 attack was the most destructive of some 200 unsolved bombings that have targeted banks, gyms, embassies and restaurants in the South American country over the past five years.Recommended: Chile bombings shake Latin America’s model nation Facebook Comments Related posts:Bomb rocks packed Chile metro station, 10 injured Chile bombings shake Latin America’s model nation Islamic State terrorists talked of entering U.S. through Mexico France, allies signal major response after Paris attacks leave at least 127 deadlast_img read more

MoT takes steps to ensure Safety Security to Foreign Tourists

first_imgThe Ministry of Tourism, to ensure safety and security for tourists, including foreign tourists has undertaken certain safety steps to provide a safe and peaceful tourism experience.These steps which ensure safety and security are as below:i) The Ministry of Tourism, on a pilot basis, has set up the ‘Incredible India Help Line’ to guide the tourists.ii) Adoption of code of conduct for Safe and Hon’ble Tourism, which contains a set of guidelines to encourage tourism activities to be undertaken with respect to basic rights like dignity, safety and freedom from exploitation of both tourists and local residents, in particular women and children.iii) All the Chief Ministers of the State Governments and Administrators of Union Territory Administrations have been asked to take immediate effective steps for ensuring a conducive and friendly environment for all tourists and also request them to publicize the steps being taken/proposed to be taken to increase the sense of security amongst the present/prospective visitors and also to counter the negative publicity, if any.iv) In the wake of some unfortunate incidents involving foreign tourists, Ministry of Tourism has also posted an advisory on its website www.incredibleindia.org.v) Guidelines on Safety & Security of Tourist for State Governments/Union Territories and Tips for Travellers have been formulated in August 2014 and circulated to all State Governments and Union Territories. These guidelines have been issued with an objective to help/provide direction to the State Governments and Union Territory Administrations in formulating guidelines for tourists’ safety and security.The guidelines also include ‘tips for travellers’ and cover the following:> Precautions to be taken during pre-travel arrangements.> Travel information on calamities/situations by the State Government.> Identifying, locating tourists in times of emergency.> Government communication and inter agency coordination.> Regulations of service providers (Transport Services, Accommodation Sector).> Regulating leisure and recreational services including adventure sports.> Address insolvencies and dispute settlement.> Enforcement.last_img read more

The AsiaPacific Incentives and Meetings Expo AIM

first_imgThe Asia-Pacific Incentives and Meetings Expo (AIME) is set for a makeover with the announcement of its new exhibition and event management supplier, Talk2 Media and Events, commencing in 2019.Karen Bolinger, CEO Melbourne Convention Bureau (MCB), made the announcement to MCB partners at its annual Partner Outlook Event yesterday, saying, “MCB is committed to pursuing excellence in the business events industry through promoting Australia and Melbourne as a world-class conference and events destination. Essential to meeting this commitment is the ongoing success of AIME.“We recognise that after 25 years it is important for AIME to continually evolve to meet the changing demands of exhibitors, hosted buyers and industry.“Talk2 Media and Events has been engaged to manage and operate AIME, commencing in 2019. With proven success and an innovative and creative approach, it’s an exciting time in AIME’s journey and we’re looking forward to the new opportunities this partnership presents for the event and those who attend.”Talk2 Media and Events was created in early 2016 resulting from a partial buy-out of selected Diversified Communications shows by Matt Pearce and Stephen Malbourne. Matt and Stephen are the sole directors of Talk2 Media and Events, and between them and their senior team have over 60 years’ collective experience running more than 300 shows across both trade and consumer portfolios. They have approximately 30 staff in their Melbourne headquarters.“AIME is the most important international event of its kind in Asia Pacific, trusted with providing the stage on which the business events community can connect and create business opportunities. We’re excited to explore how we can reimagine AIME so that it continues to foster connections, inspire new ideas and drive business outcomes for both visitors and exhibitors,” Matt Pearce said.Karen Bolinger continued, “We applaud and thank Reed Exhibitions for their vital contribution to AIME over the past 15 years. Under Reed’s management AIME has become the largest event of its kind in the Asia-Pacific region.“It’s business as usual for AIME 2018, with MCB and Reed collaborating on some exciting plans for next year’s show, that will include new initiatives, quality hosted buyers and business development opportunities in a highly connected environment,” Ms Bolinger said.AIME Event Director, Ian Wainwright said that Reed Exhibitions and MCB are forging ahead with plans for AIME 2018.“We are committed to delivering a high impact and memorable show with some major announcements on the horizon highlighting the opportunities AIME will present for hosted buyers and exhibitors in 2018.“Reed is proud to have a strong history working with MCB for so many years to deliver AIME and we look forward to a successful 2018 show in February. We sincerely hope the show continues to grow and develop and that AIME’s success continues. We will be working closely with our colleagues at Talk2Media to ensure a smooth handover.”last_img read more